Lihua (Julie) Zhu
Julie Zhu, Ph.D.
Associate Director of Bioinformatics
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI; 1994-1999 Ph.D., Nutritional Sciences - Biochemical and Molecular Nutrition Emphasis.
DePaul University, Chicago, IL; 1999-2001 M.S., Computer Science – Database Concentration.
China Agricultural University, Beijing, P. R. China; 1990-1993 M.S., Animal Nutrition.
China Agricultural University, Beijing, P. R. China; 1986-1990 B.S., Animal Nutrition.
Collaborations and Projects
Her team is responsible for high throughput data analysis of several SPORE projects, maintaining and improving several home-grown web applicaitons including the Breast and Prostate SPORE clinical databases, northwestern oncology trial information system (NOTIS), tissue bank database and LTFU database. In addition, since December 2003, Dr. Zhu has been actively participating in various Cancer Bioinformatics Grid (caBIG) activities including being a lead for the Integrative Cancer Research Workspace Microarray Repository Special Interest Group and being a co-PI in caWorkbench adopter project and integrating Bioconductor and R adopter project, and being the architecture mentor for the GenePattern and C3PR v2 projects. She has also been involved in the bioinformatics support of the Eastern Cooperate Ontology Group (ECOG) studies, the adoption of clinical annotation engine and the Inter-SPORE Prostate Biomarker Study (IPBS) pilot project to integrate NU SPORE databases to the caBIG tissue banking tools.
- Zhu LH, Strang BD, Armentano LE. Triglyceride accumulation did not prevent induction of urea synthesis or arginase by glucagon and dexamethasone in monolayer culture of bovine hepatocytes. J Dairy Sci. 1997. 80(Suppl. 1):245 (Abstr.)
- Zhu LH, Eisemann JH, Armentano LE. Direct chronic effects of β-agonists on gluconeogenesis and ureagenesis in monolayer culture of bovine hepatocytes. J Dairy Sci. 1997. 80(Suppl. 1):165 (Abstr).
- Zhu LH, Armentano LE, Bremmer DR, Grummer RR, Bertics SJ. Plasma concentration of urea, ammonia, glutamine (gln) and glutamate (glu) around calving and their relation to liver triglyceride (TG) and plasma Ca. J Dairy Sci. 1998. 81(Suppl 1):321 (Abstr).
- Zhu LH, Armentano LE, Bremmer DR, Grummer RR, Bertics SJ. Plasma concentration of urea, ammonia, glutamine around calving and the relation of hepatic triglyceride to plasma ammonia removal and blood acid-base balance. J Dairy Sci. 2000. 83:734-740.
- Zhu LH, Strang BD, Armentano LE. Effect of triglyceride accumulation on induction of urea synthesis by glucagon and dexamethasone in monolayer culture of bovine hepatocytes. J Anim Sci 2000. 78:1659-1666.
- Kapatral V, Anderson L, Ivanova N, Reznik G, Los T, Lykidis A, Bhattacharyya A, Bartman A, Gardner W, Grechkin G, Zhu LH, Vasieva O, Chu L, Kogan Y, Chaga O, Goltsman E, Bernal A, Larsen N, D'Souza M, Walunas T, Pusch G, Haselkorn R, Fonstein M, Kyrpides N, Overbeek R. Genome sequence and analysis of the oral bacterium Fusobacterium nucleatum strain ATCC 25586. J Bact. 2002. 184:2005-2018.
- Lin SM, Zhu L, Winter AQ, Sasinowski M, Kibbe WA. What is mzXML good for? Expert Rev Proteomics. 2005 Dec; 2(6):839-45.
- Chebotaev D., Yemelyanov A., Zhu, L., R M Lavker and Budunova I. 2006. The tumor suppressor effect of the glucocorticoid receptor in skin is mediated via its effect on follicular epithelial stem cells. Oncogene Advance Online Publication, 4 December 2006; doi: 10.1038/sj.onc.1210108
- Mishra M, Paunesku T, Woloschak GE, Lukas T, Siddique T, Zhu L, Lin S, Greco K and Bigio EH. Gene Expression analysis of frontotemporal lobar degeneration of the motor neuron disease type with ubiquitinated Inclusions. 2007. Acta Neuropathologica (In Press).
- Osborne J, Zhu LH, Lin SM, and Kibbe WA. Interpreting microarray results with gene ontology and MeSH. In Korenberg M. ed. Methods in Microarray Data Analysis. Humana Press 2006
- Lihua (Julie) Zhu and John Osborne. CaWorkbench adoption. 2006 caBIG ICR Annual meeting, New York.
- Lihua (Julie) Zhu, Jennelle C. Hodge, Borko Jovanovic, Neela Sivapurapu, Nadereh Jafari and Paul F. Lindholm. Microarray analysis of gene expression profiles of PC-3 prostate cancer cell invasion variants with increased RhoA and NF-κB activity. 2006 Inter-Prostate SPORE Meeting, Houston, TX
- Yongzeng Ding, Xu Li, Shan Chen, Williams Catelona, David L. Kelly, Lihua (Julie) Zhu, Borko D. Jovanovic, Irene B. Helenowski, Ximing Yang, Michael Pins, and Raymond C. Bergan. Normalizations and gene profiling of genistein’s effect in men with Prostate cancer. 2006 Inter-Prostate SPORE Meeting, Houston, TX
- Warren Kibbe., John Osborne, Wendy A. Wolf, Maureen E. Smith, Lihua (Julie Zhu), Simon Lin and Rex L. Chisholm. Disease ontology and browser. 2006 caBIG Annual Meeting, Washing DC
- Rhett Sutphin, Simon Lin, John Osborne, Andrew Winter, Lihua (Julie) Zhu, Moses Hohman, and Warren Kibbe. MzHDF for high-throughput proteomics data. 2006 caBIG Annual Meeting, Washing DC
- Lin S, Zhu L, Kibbe W - Should mismatch probes be thrown out and should probe level variation be included in the model? 2006 MGED9 meeting, Seattle, WA
- Qiang Zhang, Shilajit D. Kundu, Michael Pins, Ximing Yang, Julie Zhu, Linning Liao, Paul Lindholm, Borko Javonovic, Brian Helfand and Chung Lee. Transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) induced epithelial- mesenchymal transition (EMT) correlates with human prostate cancer progress. 2006 SBUR Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Qiang Zhang, Shilajit D. Kundu, Michael Pins, Julie L Zhu, Borko Javonovic, Paul Lindholm, Chung Lee. Transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) induced expression Of vimentin enhances the invasiveness of prostate cancer. 2007 AUA Annual Meeting, Anaheim,CA
- Qiang Zhang, Shilajit D. Kundu, Michael Pins, Julie L Zhu, Chung Lee. Nuclear Factor-Kappa B (NF-κb) Mediates Transforming growth factor- β induced expression epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in prostate cancer. 2007 AUA annual meeting, Anaheim, CA
- Qiang Zhang, Thomas Jang, Michael Pins, Julie L Zhu, Chung Lee. Transforming growth factor beta 3 (TGF-β3) is a strong predictor of prostate cancer aggressiveness. 2007 AACR Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA